This is an exciting role for a Technical Writer who likes to work with engineering teams, has a startup mentality, adaptability to change, and a get-it-done approach to execution.
The API technical writer is part of a larger product UX design team and is responsible for the content and the accuracy of technical documentation and instructional material related to software payment products, functions, and capabilities. You get to teach developers how to integrate with our payment products through our secure APIs and SDKs.
Work with internal API provider teams to ensure API documentation is accurate, style is professional, adheres to company standards, ADA, and is usable via. an ApiGee/Grav CMS API Developer Portal for payment integrators. Candidate is an experienced and proficient technical writer with excellent written and verbal communication skills. The successful candidate uses a thorough process of audience analysis, user-centered-design, and online authoring to develop and maintain API documentation, reference manuals, operational run books, videos, and other required systems documentation necessary to grow an online development community. Candidate possess excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills, a thorough knowledge of personal computers and personal computer-based tools for developing technical documentation. Participates in the development of software API documentation standards, automated templates, portal governance, and publishing workflows.
* Drive the strategy and planning for product documentation in collaboration with engineering and commercial product owner teams.
* Write clear and concise payment API documentation for our integration partners and external developer audience.
* Develop code samples, interactive tutorials, and process flows to help developers get up to speed quickly.
* Democratize the documentation process across the API developer platform, serving as an editor for contributing engineers.
* Work with product managers, developer evangelists, designers, and marketing to shape the entirety of the our developer experience, including community development and developer outreach.
* Work cross-functionally with our product teams, other engineering teams, and partner developers in the design and delivery of our global developer platform.
* Contribute occasionally to internal documentation initiatives.
* 2+ years experience with RESTful APIs, JSON, Swagger or a similar framework, code commenting tools, and/or source code repositories preferred.
* Proficient writing in English. Ability to communicate effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the intended audience.
* Comfortable working in a semi-structured writing environment with evolving processes and homegrown systems.
* Comfortable handling multiple deadlines and self-prioritization of ad hoc requests.
* Experience working directly with engineers, product managers, and other stakeholders to help document (and define) new developer products and features.
* Experience writing common forms of developer documentation (API reference, conceptual guides, and tutorials).
* Experience writing Markdown and HTML by hand.
* Agile/SCRUM Experience
* 4+ years of experience with CMS and Knowledge Management systems
* Training and knowledge transfer experience
* Some exposure to coding practices in PHP, Python, and Ruby
* Desktop publishing concepts, practices, and usability procedures
* Develop professional quality documentation templates that enable automation and reuse.
* Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by developers and initial API code authors.
* Collaborate with leadership, clients, and vendors, to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed.
* Analyze documentation to determine need for revisions in previously published materials and development of new material.
* Maintain records, files of work, and revisions for future use in content management system