Employees work hard and have to wait to get paid monthly, while their financial wellbeing is under pressure; With Wagestream, you can give people power over their pay and remove that financial stress. Did you know , the lowest 10% of earners in the UK make banks the most money in fees, charges and interest?
Here at Wagestream, we believe that is fundamentally wrong - and we are on a mission for change. Financial Wellness is a new "ish" term in the software world, but we are having a big impact. We are backed by social impact charities such as Big Society Capital, and the Social Tech Trust - we are more than just a FinTech.
There are a lot of software buzzwords that come in and out of fashion, and we don't think Earned Wage Access is one of them, we know we are here to stay. What's the end game? Easy. Financial Wellness for everyone, everywhere. #PowerOverPay About the role:
We're looking for senior customer-focused engineers to join our Systems Engineering team. The Systems Engineering team is responsible for developing and maintaining the heart of the Wagestream platform, and covers areas such as payments (where we move billions of currency), communications (such as email and push notifications), and our primary application-facing APIs.
Engineers in the Systems team make a meaningful impact to our customers by building new features that solve additional user problems and strengthen our value proposition, as well as improving the quality and reliability of our existing features, resulting in higher customer satisfaction and increased user engagement with our product. Senior Engineers joining our team are given significant responsibility to quickly develop new features. About the team:
The Systems team is a small, experienced and highly effective team staffed with Senior & Principal level engineers. Each week we host a cross-functional planning session where we agree the priorities for the coming week, discuss the scope of work and resolve any ambiguities. We then run a daily stand-up in collaboration with the Apps & Product teams, where we aim to resynchronise our understanding of key priorities and resolve any blockers. The Systems team pushes straight to production using a modern CI/CD based on GitHub Actions and AWS ECS. Responsibilities:
- Architect, develop, test, and maintain code to move money in GBP, EUR, USD and AUD via the various global banking payment schemes (BACS, FPS, SEPA, ACH, NPP, Visa Direct, Mastercard MoneySend)
- Obsessing over speed. Currently, 99% of all Wagestream transfers settle within 4 seconds, and we've achieved that record by being absolutely maniacal about speed. But we can always be faster. And for the 1% that don't settle that quickly, we could be MUCH faster.
- Build metrics and dashboards to monitor banking infrastructure.
- Contribute to the broader engineering team (best practices, tools, technologies)
- Ship quickly, fail sometimes, deliver constantly
- You're fast, customer-focused and have a full-stack engineering background
- Solution design and architecture knowledge
- Fluency with Python, SQL, and REST APIs
- Deep experience with the AWS stack. We are heavy users of DyanmoDB, SQS, S3, SES, Lambdas, API Gateway, etc.
Within 1 month you'll have:
- Prior experience with banking or payments is nice, but not required
Within 3 months you'll:
- Developed a good understanding of our System architecture, and how we make changes to it
- Delivered at least 1 meaningful feature into user's hands
Within 6 months you'll have:
- Have developed strong relationships with the entire engineering team, and be able to collaborate with them cross-functionally as required
- Be able to lead on development of significant features, taking work through from idea, to technical design, implementation, testing and ultimately deployment
- Become a subject-matter expert on multiple key Wagestream systems
- Delivered multiple features from conception to production that have satisfied users and contributed to the company's success
- We will pay you what you're worth. We are fully committed to closing the gender pay gap, promoting diversity and inclusivity, and paying people what they deserve to be paid.
- We're a Remote First business - work from home or our London office - you choose! We have team members everywhere, from Cornwall to Glasgow - we place an emphasis on finding the right people in any location, not any people in the right location.
- We will help you manage your busy lifestyle with flexible working opportunities, most of the team work "core hours" to allow touchpoints with your team, but we also make sure you have the time to pick the kids up at 3pm, or go for that mid-morning run to boost your productivity. We want you to have the best of both worlds.
- We offer 25 days annual leave in addition to public holidays (up to 5 day rollover), as well as flexible time off allowances for any ad-hoc childcare/family/caring needs.
- We offer 12 weeks paid maternity leave and up to 4 weeks paid paternity leave for employees with over 12 months service
- We will support you with your career endeavours. We are committed to internal progression, and offering our team members the best opportunities for growth. We want to invest in you the same way you're going to invest in us!
- If you love cycling as much as we do, keep yourself physically fit with our Evans Cycles Ride to Work scheme
- And after a long weeks work, join us in undoing it all - with membership to The Wine Society. (They also do gin and beer!)
- We want everyone to achieve "zen mastery" with a free subscription to Calm - work can be stressful (we know!) and we want to help you switch off
- And the best benefit of all... Free access to Wagestream service - naturally!
- 30 min introductory call with Sophie
- 50 min Zoom with Nick - technical screening and short pair programming exercise
- 2 x 50 min Technical Paired Sessions with Senior Engineers (Onsite or Zoom)
- 30 min Onsite with Portman
AWS, DynamoDB, PythonPython, SQL, REST