MyTutor is the UK's leading online platform for one-to-one learning, and we're on a mission to improve the educational outcomes of thousands of young people. We're building a future where access to high quality learning is stress-free for those who can afford it, and funded for those who can't.
One-to-one tuition is one of the most powerful ways to improve pupils' grades, confidence and life chances. Yet it remains out of reach for many. Our handpicked community of tutors work online with students from all walks of life, raising results on average by one whole grade. Since the Covid-19 and all the disruption to education, we've worked with the government to provide safe and reliable tuition to more students than ever. We're proud to have worked with over 650 schools across the UK, and our tutors have given over a million lessons.
Since the pandemic, we've scaled up and kept a working environment that encourages collaboration and support. We always prioritise our team's development and wellbeing, remotely right now, and in an office again in the future. You can find your zen in team Yoga on Mondays, sweat it out at our Product Manager Jess's Bootcamp on Fridays (not for the faint-hearted) or get creative at Drink & Draw from our Content Manager Mariota. We have regular company socials and there are chances every week to sit down with someone for a cuppa and a chat. When it's legal, we're excited to get back to in-person socials too (landscape drawing in the park, anyone?).
The role in a nutshell:
We're looking for senior software engineers across our Product Engineering team to help us create a scalable components/apps/microservices based architecture. Being curious about and comfortable with complex code transition is essential to this role, as is being reasonably language agnostic. An interest in JavaS cript towards the front end or Java towards the back end wouldn't be out of place though!
Our current tech stack is a Java/MySQL backend hosted in AWS, with Spring Boot and Kafka also in play. Our front end is transitioning to React.js. We operate in multi-disciplinary agile squads, each owning their own part of the feature set. We've invested a lot of effort in making sure our squads can operate nimbly and own their own destiny and have a modern CI/CD pipeline.
We're very open to preferences for front end, back end or full stack work. Our main prerequisite is an enthusiasm for solving interesting problems through software working in an agile, multi-disciplinary team.
What will I be doing?
Skills you may already have:
- Building new product functionality
- Leading software design and architecture discussions
- Acting as a mentor to less experienced engineers
- Working with Product Managers & Product Designers to refine stories and explore technology challenges
- Researching new technologies, methodologies and ideas that can improve the organisation
- Working with cross-functional teams to ensure quality throughout the software development lifecycle
- Building good relationships with key stakeholders, who embrace challenges to their requirements and develop an understanding of the technology these relate to
- Peer reviewing your colleagues's code and supporting our engineering values
- Contributing constructively in improving agile practices
- Experience working as a software engineer in a high-paced, high-change environment
- Experience with integration tools: Bitbucket, GIT, Circle, Jenkins, Docker
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS, GCP)
- Some experience with relational or NoSQL database development (MySQL, Aurora, Dynamo)
- An interest and familiarity with development in Java-based backend microservice or serverless technologies (Spring Boot, Drop Wizard, AWS Lambda, etc.)
- Comfortable working in an agile environment
- A desire to work in a scaling, high impact environment
- An open mind to technology stacks and scalable platform architectures
- The desire to keep learning
- A collaborative nature
- It's safe to say an enjoyment of coding would be a good thing
- Choice of hardware
- Super Health Care
- Many Socials
- Flexible Working
- Nice People :-)
- Initial screening call
- Technical interview - 2 part, discussion session plus a pairing exercise
- Team interview - with an engineer and a product person
- People team interview
Java, Spring Boot, AWS, KafkaJava, Spring Boot, AWS, Kafka