Apolitical is the first global platform for government that helps public servants find the ideas, experts and partners they need to solve the hardest challenges facing our societies. Our mission is to help make governments work better for citizens everywhere. The need to seek solutions across borders in government has never been greater. Yet public servants still often google or phone a friend to find policy ideas that affect millions of lives. Apolitical was created to change this.
We think it's essential to highlight what's working in government and to celebrate the committed public servants - unsung heroes - behind innovations. Apolitical's publicly available policy stories reach tens of millions of people. Its private network is used by thousands of public servants in 140+ countries including mayors and ministers. Our partners include the World Bank, the UK Cabinet Office and the World Economic Forum.
About the role:
We've got a team of talented, curious, collaborative engineers and are looking for someone great to join us. Our stack is built with a React frontend, NodeJS backend on the Google Cloud Platform. Our ideal candidate will have expertise in frontend development, and it would be a bonus if they also had experience with either DevOps or backend.
Most of your work will involve frontend development, but when needed, it would be great to have someone willing to step in on other areas of the platform also. If you've never worked with NodeJS before and you're willing to learn, we're happy to support you.
On the frontend, your role will involve reproducing designs as high quality code, taking into account different devices, web performance and accessibility. You'll care about creating a great user experience and building performant applications. Your day to day work may include developing new features, building out our UI styleguide and updating existing parts of the platform.
As we're beginning to scale, this role is a great opportunity to help influence how we build up our product, platform and team. We want to help you leverage your strengths and make the role your own.
In a senior role on the team, we're hoping you'll bring your expertise, knowledge and strengths to the team and help us grow as a team. You'll ideally be someone who enjoys taking ownership of pieces of work (including the technical breakdown and communicating with stakeholders, as well as writing code), takes initiative and enjoys teaching and learning from others.
Nice to have, but not essential:
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with React
- An eye for detail and the ability to reproduce designs as high quality code
- A willingness to learn and help others grow
- Demonstrated experience in delivering production ready code on several projects
- Understanding of best practices around building scalable, maintainable and performant designs and code
- Comfortable working in an agile environment
We're willing to support in these areas if you don't have experience yet:
- Experience developing for accessibility
- Experience in web performance
- Experience working with styleguides
- An interest in government and policy
- Experience using Docker, Kubernetes, GCP or other cloud-based services is a definite plus(we use Google Cloud)
- Experience with Node
- Experience with TDD
- Experience leading on projects
- Knowledgeable about SOA
- Mentoring junior colleagues
- Experience breaking down work and technical scoping