Employees work hard and have to wait to get paid monthly, while their financial wellbeing is under pressure; With Wagestream, you can give people power over their pay and remove that financial stress. Did you know , the lowest 10% of earners in the UK make banks the most money in fees, charges and interest?
Here at Wagestream, we believe this is fundamentally wrong - and we are on a mission to change that. Financial Wellness is a new "ish" term in the software world, but we are having a big impact. We are backed by social impact charities such as Big Society Capital, and the Social Tech Trust - we are more than just a FinTech...
There are a lot of software buzzwords that come in and out of fashion, and we don't think Earned Wage Access is one of them, we know we are here to stay. What's the end game? Easy. Financial Wellness for everyone, everywhere. #PowerOverPay About the role:
We're looking for a customer-focused Senior Applications Engineer to join us in our mission to constantly improve the Wagestream experience for both employees (mobile app) and employers (Wagestream portal). We release multiple times per day, so you'll need to be comfortable owning features from concept, to release, to post-release measurement.
The technology stack is a backend of AWS+Python+Postgres, and a frontend of React, but experience with those particular technologies is not required. You should however, have a proven track-record of shipping web and mobile applications. This is an opportunity to make a real impact to a consumer-facing mobile app, and to develop and ship meaningful features to an historically underserved segment of society. About the team:
The Applications team is a small team of 5 engineers that owns the whole of the Wagestream mobile app. Each week we host a cross-functional planning session where we agree the priorities for the coming week, discuss the scope of work and resolve any ambiguities. We then run a daily stand-up in collaboration with the Apps & Product teams, where we aim to resynchronise our understanding of key priorities and resolve any blockers. The Application team is able to deploy to production multiple times per week using OTA updates to our app. Responsibilities:
- Ship quickly, fail sometimes, deliver constantly
- Working with stakeholders to define new features for employees and employers
- Architect, test, and release new features (ideally to a subset of our total audience
- Work with data science team to analyse effectiveness, and tweak where necessary
- "Push the button" and release your creation into the wild
- Contribute to the broader engineering team (best practices, tools, technologies)
- Mastery of TypeScript and at least one modern web/mobile framework. This could be React, Angular, Vue, or something else, but you must be comfortable switching frameworks and picking the right tool for the job
- Experience creating responsive UIs for web & mobile consumers
- You have experience in working within AWS. We are heavy users of RDS, SQS, S3, SES, Lambdas, API Gateway, etc.
- An eye for aesthetics - you need to know when something isn't good enough
Within 1 month you'll have:
- Within the role, you'll gain expert-level knowledge of React, the main framework we use in the app
- Knowledge of Mobile-specific development (e.g. understanding the iOS/Android tool-chain)
- Experience using Figma
Within 3 months you'll have:
- Developed a sound understanding of our Application architecture, and how we make changes to it
- Delivered at least 1 meaningful feature into users hands
Within 6 months you'll have:
- Developed strong relationships with the entire engineering team, and be able to collaborate with them cross-functionally as required
- Be able to lead on development of significant features, taking work through from idea, to technical design, implementation, testing and ultimately deployment
- Become a subject-matter expert on multiple key Wagestream features
- Delivered multiple features from conception to production that have satisfied users and contributed to the company's success
- We will pay you what you're worth. We are fully committed to closing the gender pay gap, promoting diversity and inclusivity, and paying people what they deserve to be paid.
- We're a Remote First business - work from home or our London office - you choose! We have team members everywhere, from Cornwall to Glasgow - we place an emphasis on finding the right people in any location, not any people in the right location.
- We will help you manage your busy lifestyle with flexible working opportunities, most of the team work "core hours" to allow touchpoints with your team, but we also make sure you have the time to pick the kids up at 3pm, or go for that mid-morning run to boost your productivity. We want you to have the best of both worlds.
- We offer 25 days annual leave in addition to public holidays (up to 5 day rollover), as well as flexible time off allowances for any ad-hoc childcare/family/caring needs.
- We offer 12 weeks paid maternity leave and up to 4 weeks paid paternity leave for employees with over 12 months service
- We will support you with your career endeavours. We are committed to internal progression, and offering our team members the best opportunities for growth. We want to invest in you the same way you're going to invest in us!
- If you love cycling as much as we do, keep yourself physically fit with our Evans Cycles Ride to Work scheme
- And after a long weeks work, join us in undoing it all - with membership to The Wine Society. (They also do gin and beer!)
- We want everyone to achieve "zen mastery" with a free subscription to Calm - work can be stressful (we know!) and we want to help you switch off
- And the best benefit of all... Free access to Wagestream service - naturally!
- 30 min introductory call with Sophie
- 50 min Zoom with Nick - technical screening and short pair programming exercise
- 2 x 50 min Technical Paired Sessions with Senior Engineers (Onsite or Zoom)
- 30 min Onsite with Portman
Typescript, iOS, Android, React, AngularAWS, Python, PostgreSQL, React