Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments.
The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world's most diverse progressive home of fashion, that's kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world's most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
We operate on three values:
About the team:
- Circularity- We're taking the circular economy mainstream. Changing people's relationship with clothes and making it easy to choose options that are kinder to the planet.
- Self expression- We're a space for self expression that encourages millions to explore, connect and find their identities through style.
- Opportunity- We're building a home of fashion where everyone feels welcome and anyone can succeed on their own terms.
The Web Buyers team collaborates with designers and analysts, leveraging our skills to build an amazing shopping experience, from building APIs in Node.js to power our shop and product pages, to creating slick user experiences on the front-end using the latest web technologies such as React and Next.js.
To help Depop grow quickly on the web, the Web Buyers team invests in building strong foundations to support our rapidly growing platform. This technical investment varies from adding linters and building style guides, to improving how to best scale our microservices architecture. We also contribute to the broader technical web roadmap alongside other web teams.
The Web team is also looking to grow our backend capabilities in 2022, in order to contribute to Depop's backend infrastructure, adding new services or extending existing services to bring entirely new features to the web experience.
About the role:
As a Senior Engineer in our Web Buyers team, you'll play a key role leading and supporting a team of engineers to contribute to Depop's mission and goals, helping our community of buyers on the web discover items and sellers they might love.
You'll be working in a technically innovative environment, building high-traffic and scalable systems that service 10,000s of concurrent users, mentoring and coaching other engineers, and iterating and improving your team's work based on short feedback loops and experimentation.
As part of the team's mission to grow our backend capabilities, you'll be directing the technical development of engineers to work fullstack across both the front end platform and our backend infrastructure through mentoring and teaching.
You'll also have the opportunity to contribute to Depop's wider product and engineering culture. That could be presenting in our company architecture meet-ups, or contributing to our growth framework.
- Architect and implement efficient and reusable front-end systems in our web app and backend APIs that drive a complex web application in a backend-for-front end architecture
- Mentoring the team to develop full stack capabilities such as databases, API design and micro services
- Cultivating a strong engineering culture, orientated on technical innovation, and professional development
- Contributing to the team's technical roadmap, collaborating closely with Product
- Use data to guide product and engineering decisions to focus on what matters most
- Collaborate with Designers, Product Managers, Software Engineers and Analysts to contribute to the team's product roadmap
- Care about what you do, Depop's mission, the code you write, the products you ship
- Strong knowledge of systems design, within a modern cloud-based environment (AWS, GCP)
- Strong skills with a high-level, typed programming language (e.g. Typescript, Java, Scala, Go)
- Experience with relational and no-SQL databases and know when to use either
- Good mentoring experience; we want you to help shape and develop our people
- Experience working collaboratively as part of an agile team in a product-driven business
- Experience with message queue frameworks such as Kafka and RabbitMQ
- Experience with performance monitoring and logging, and using insights to resolve issues and improve performance
- Knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience of CI (Continuous Integration) and CD (Continuous Delivery) and embracing DevOps with maintaining pipelines using Jenkins
Depop offers the opportunity to work in one of the UK's fastest-growing scale-ups, with a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about, in addition to:
- Learn and Grow: We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
- Wellbeing: We care about wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eye-care vouchers and a discounted gym membership.
- Mental Health: Mental health is a top priority for Depop. We offer subsidised counselling appointments through SelfSpace, have mental health first aiders and also run yoga, meditation and more.
- Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism, and sabbaticals for our long-serving employees.
- Family life: We offer flexible working (based on your team), generous parental leave policies, and, all of our offices are dog-friendly!
- Financial: We match up to 6% on your pension and offer discounts through BenefitHub.
- Fun: We love to celebrate our successes at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more.
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- Talent Partner Interview - 30 min
- Hiring Manager Interview - 1 hour
- Take home task
- Technical Interview - 1 hour
- Final Interview - 30 min
Typescript, AWS, NoSQL, Java, ScalaTypescript, AWS, NoSQL