Motorway is reinventing how cars are bought and sold online. Motorway started in 2017 with a big vision: build a better car market for everyone. Buying or selling cars has always been hard: it's tricky to know if you're getting a good deal, the process is complicated and can end in frustration. Motorway is changing that.
Our mission is to bring the car industry into the 21st century through ground-breaking products and best in class technology. With a few taps, customers can compare instant offers from online car buyers and dealers, select their best offer and sell fast. By removing the traditional steps in between we help everyone get the right deal, quickly. We have helped thousands of people value and sell their car already, and this is just the beginning.
There are so many ways to sell your car, it can be overwhelming. At Motorway, we're focused on building the best way. Unlike your other options, we won't make you choose between price and convenience - you can have both, with no extra effort. We'll guide you through the process to get a great result.
Our mission is to create a market inspired by truth, transparency, and fairness. Our passion and commitment to this drives everything we do, and has helped us build a diverse team with world-class talent across the globe.
Whether it's your first car or your fiftieth, our smart tech and helpful service make everyone a car selling pro. We'll find your best offer from our nationwide network of dealers so you get a great offer from someone you can trust. And because dealers pay a fee to buy your car, when you sell with us, it's always completely free. Sell like a pro. It's the Motorway!
About the role:
This is a varied role where you'll work on everything from architecting new features to performance optimisation; and on apps designed for consumers through to expert users. It's an opportunity to join a fast-growing startup in the early stages, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and change an industry.
We are a small team of experienced entrepreneurs and engineers who are passionate about creating amazing user experiences and profitable, high-scale businesses. Join us and be part of something big.We hire experienced people who are natural collaborators, and place them in small teams with end-to-end responsibility for their respective projects. Providing a fast paced and autonomous environment where people can do their best work is really important to us.As we grow we will continue to look for talented, driven individuals who want to develop by surrounding themselves with a diverse group of outstanding people. If this sounds like you we hope you'll join us!
- The first comparison website for selling your car (motorway.co.uk), enabling sellers to compare multiple real time offers from car buying companies and sell their car in 24 hours. This is a high scale web application with 350,000 users per month.
- An online marketplace for used cars (pro.motorway.co.uk) where professional dealers can search, view and bid on vehicles for sale. This is a brand new product with an aggressive roadmap to develop into a full B2B SaaS tool.
- The technical platform that manages vehicle, seller and buyer data and powers our user-facing web apps. The platform deals with large volumes of data and interfaces with dozens of third party APIs and services.
- Solving interesting performance and caching problems as our traffic continues to scale
- Developing the code and business logic for the backend platform that powers the whole business
- Organising and structuring platform code to make it highly efficient, maintainable and reusable
- Working with third party APIs and web services (REST, SOAP, etc.) to provide real-time valuations and submit vehicle and customer information to car buyers
- Working with our data layer (PostgreSQL & Redis), helping to make changes to the schema and creating tools and reports to help us understand our performance
- Working with our infrastructure (currently Heroku and AWS) to scale as we grow, and provide the highest possible performance
- Working in our flat-structured development team, and getting involved in the technical and product strategy of the business
- Working closely with front-end, design and product teams to support client apps
- Championing and implementing software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure
- You'll perform this role across all our collection of microservices (node.js with Express and Sequelize) that power our user-facing applications through RESTful APIs.
- Strong demonstrable level of commercial experience working with web apps, websites and APIs in production environment
- Experience working with relational databases and NoSQL databases, including complex queries and performance optimization
- Experience configuring, deploying and monitoring apps and websites on PaaS services such as Heroku or AWS
- Experience working with version control, automated testing and continuous integration
- Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
- A passion for technology and software, demonstrated by personal projects, blog posts or contributions to open source projects
- A can-do attitude with a willingness to work hard, both on your own and as part of a team
- Ambition to develop and be the best at what you do
- A degree in Computer Science; or a maths, science or engineering subject is a plus
- A competitive salary
- Significant stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team - we want you to be included in our success
- £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons
- BUPA health insurance
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories
- Regular social events
- Cycle to work scheme
- The chance to join a rapidly growing, revenue-generating startup and build products that will change an industry
- The chance to work with the latest and greatest technologies, free from legacy systems and red tape
- If you're into cars, opportunities to work with vehicle data and learn about the automotive industry. We also have some fun, car-related activities (as well as non-car fun too!)
- Video call
- 1st Round Interview (which includes a tech screen during)
- 2nd Round Interview (either with Director of Engineering or Founder)