We operate broad pay scales for all our roles to enable us to fulfil our commitments to inclusivity and career development. Final package is dependent on individual knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, we offer a range of competitive benefits - check them out in the Benefits section on our website.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
The Economic and Commercial Analysis (ECA) team is the primary source of evidence, analysis and modelling expertise for HS2 Ltd, supporting the scheme through key decision stages. As a Senior Analyst Manager at HS2 Ltd you will primarily lead on analytical projects relating to commercial analysis and also support projects relating to economic analysis or transport modelling in the ECA team.
The Senior Analyst Manager will use their skills to lead the scoping, delivery and assurance of significant pieces of analysis from various sources, identifying and securing appropriate stakeholder inputs, to provide analytical advice to support decisions on the HS2 scheme, ensuring that risks and implications are identified.About the role:
Qualifications About You:
- Deliver a challenging analytical work programme to deliver high quality analysis and providing the Department for Transport and HS2 Ltd with advice to the agreed scope and deadlines
- Responsible for the relationship on behalf of the ECA team with senior clients within HS2 Ltd and the Department for Transport to scope and agree the requirements of analytical projects, distilling this into clear project plans and managing small teams of analysts to deliver against the plans
- Responsible for external analytical contracts with a substantial budget, including procurement and financial management
- Proactively initiate, maintain and manage working relationships with senior colleagues across HS2 Ltd and the Department for Transport; agreeing the analytical requirements for senior decision makers and Board-level communication, ensuring decision-making at all levels is informed by high-quality evidence; and demonstrating a breadth of knowledge and experience to operate effectively among senior decision makers
- Communicate project findings to key stakeholders, including non-analysts, ensuring that communication styles are adapted to suit the audience, providing appropriate response to challenge from stakeholders. Proactively seeks opportunities for the evidence to impact investment decisions
- Draw conclusions on outputs from commercial, transport and economic models, presenting compelling evidence and the case for change to senior stakeholders, and giving well-judged advice on a range of high-profile investment decisions, including where the evidence may be incomplete or ambiguous
- Manage at least one junior analyst, conduct performance appraisals, people management, coaching and development
- Deputise for the Commercial Analysis Lead where required and support the Commercial Analysis Lead in identifying new and innovative areas where Commercial Analysis can add value to the development, design and delivery of the HS2 scheme
- Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Ability to perform analysis through the application of analytical tools, models and techniques, and the synthesis of evidence from a range of sources as appropriate to produce analytical advice
- Ability to analyse and interpret data from various sources, identifying and securing appropriate stakeholder inputs, to provide analytical advice to support policy decisions, ensuring that risks and implications are identified
- Ability to reflect the wider strategic priorities of the organisations, and the views, perspectives and diverse needs of HS2 Ltd and the Department for Transport in to work programmes and activities to achieve progress on shared objectives
- Ability to lead relationships with senior stakeholders to develop work programmes from high level requirements in new and innovative areas and effectively manage the delivery of a number of significant projects to high levels of quality
- Ability to lead small teams to deliver analysis on time and to the required quality
- Ability to communicate complex analytical information in a way that is easily understood by stakeholders and producing effective presentation and briefing that facilitates decisions making, adapting communication style to suit the audience
- A degree in a relevant subject (Economics, Mathematics, Accounting, Finance or Statistics) and/or a professional qualification (e.g. ACA, ACCA or CIMA).
- Knowledge or background in analytical areas relevant to Economic and Commercial Analysis, for example: public sector appraisal (Green Book, Magenta Book, Transport Analysis Guidance), passenger demand forecasting and transport modelling, or Whole Life Cost analysis for commercial decision-making
- Knowledge of specific analytical tools/methodologies, such as economic analysis, statistics, transport models, commercial/financial analysis; and knowledge of Excel and the ability to interrogate a range of input data, and identify trends or patterns using Excel-based models
- Knowledge of the rail sector is desirable but not essential. Critical to the role is the ability to proactively seek opportunities for high-quality evidence to impact investment decisions, giving well-judged analytical advice to a range of stakeholders
- Experience of leading and providing economic, commercial or transport related analysis in a team-based or project environment, notably a government department, partner body or commercial/consultancy environment
- Experience of managing and interrogating complex datasets and appraisal models, notably in relation to economic models, transport models or commercial models
- Experience of building and leading working relationships with stakeholders, communicating complex evidence with clarity and authority to influence decisions and promote the value of analysis in decision-making
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary analytical team, and quality-assuring analysis done by peers, or developing quality-assurance plans for your own projects
- Experience of scoping an analytical programme with clients from other professional backgrounds to meet their requirements, managing small teams to deliver high quality models and analysis.
The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.About Us:
High Speed Two (HS2) will be the UK's new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain's major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others' health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our 'Safe at Heart' programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.