Job Title: Project Planner
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.The Role
The Planning and Controls team is a centre of excellence within Arup's Project and Programme Management (PPM) group. It provides support across all parts of Arup to a diverse range of engineering projects. The particular focus of the person sought for this role is to support the planning/scheduling of the design and construction stages of various engineering projects.
The team is now looking for a planner with a strong technical background in planning and controls who can support a number of consultancy commissions, including the delivery of major infrastructure projects. The clients for this work will be existing Arup clients who have a strong pipeline of work.
The role will require the planner to work independently undertaking the following:
Essential Requirements and skills
- Development of project programmes/schedules from first principle, based on experience from multi-discipline projects (e.g. based on production rates and quantities).
- Undertaking regular schedule and progress reviews and updates.
- Produce written technical reports such constructability reports and progress reports that capture issues
- Able to advise project team members of the impact of issues and provide mitigation.
- Assist in developing and using visual techniques to communicate project phasing, constraints to the senior leadership team and clients.
- Assist in delivering planning assessments of design, procurement and construction phases.
- Providing review and reporting on NEC4 and ICME contractor programmes.
- Analyse the validity of schedule assessments submitted with Compensation Event Quotations.
- Support the change process with impact assessments and updating of the master schedule following approved change.
- Providing scenario analysis as and when required in support of decisions, opportunity identification and change assessment.
- Identify risks, constraints and clashes in the future construction activities, and support the delivery team in mitigating and managing.
- Enhance client team understanding of construction planning and coordination.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Good understanding of design /design processes / understanding of modern construction methods.
- Sound knowledge, proven skills, and competencies in application of project planning principles, methodologies, and tools (qualitative & quantitative), supporting all phases of project execution, particularly around schedule development, progress measurement.
- Be self-motivated, proactive, and flexible regarding types of projects and responsibilities.
- Good knowledge of schedule cost and resource loading.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills and be able to work independently as well as build strong working relationships and work collaboratively.
- Professional qualification, ideally to degree standard, in an engineering or building discipline.
- Proven / strong knowledge and application of Primavera P6 and other planning software.
- Understanding of change control and working knowledge of earned value management would be desirable.
For this role some work outside normal office hours may be necessary depending on project requirements. Travel to and from client sites /or temporary assignments to client's offices may also be required. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomedRewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm's financial performance.Different people, shared values.
At Arup, we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world.
At Arup, we welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and any other protected characteristic. Our internal employee networks - BAME, Culture, Disability, LGBTQ+ and Women - provide a space for you to express your views and to make a positive difference - discover more about life at Arup here.
At Arup, we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best throughout your application.
At Arup, we appreciate that everyone's circumstances are different and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply, and we will discuss how this could work in your role.What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.