Wagestream is the global leader in Earned Wage Access (EWA). We provide an income streaming solution for employers to give employees instant access to their earnings, and prevent them ever having to go into debt between pay cycles. Our mission is to provide fair financial services to all and our technology has started to create a whole new category; the workplace bank.
We were founded for a social purpose to reduce the poverty premium. We believe the monthly pay cycle is fundamentally broken and unfair to employees, and that we can fix it. We know financial services are better served through the employer, and have built a set of tools [track, stream, save, learn], that boost the financial resilience of a workforce and have a measurable and proven impact on employee retention and productivity.
We love our clients and do everything we can to support them. We already help 750,000 employees worldwide access their income when they need it, across some of the largest organisations in the UK, Spain, Australia and USA including The White Company, The Co-op, The NHS, Bupa, and Rentokil. About the role:
We're looking for a Principal Data Engineer to lead on designing and managing the data infrastructure that Wagestream uses to power our business operations on a day to day basis. We run Linux, Postgres, Redshift, Tableau, and Python on AWS and work hard to make sure our systems are secure, performant, accurate, and scalable.
You'll have a significant impact on the ability of Wagestream to understand and gain insights from its global data-sources. Working very closely with our data scientists and analysts, you'll develop an understanding of how we produce and consume data, and will set-up & maintain data-related infrastructure, create ETL pipelines, and automate production and distribution of business critical reports that will be shared with key personnel such as the co-founders and the Board.
You'll work very closely with the Revenue and Operations team (Revenue and Operations Manager, Senior Data Scientist, Data Analyst) who determine and prioritise the data the business requires, and extract insights from the data sources. Data underpins all Wagestream teams. This role will have a significant impact on improving the productivity and impact of all Wagestream employees. Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Head of Infrastructure and Security, you will be responsible for:
Within 1 month you'll have:
- Providing a uniform and reliable source of aggregated data for our global operations, customer support, and client success team
- Designing, coding, testing, and documenting all new or modified BI infrastructure and systems
- Managing integration of internal data sources (SQL, S3, Flat Files, and others) while ensuring the appropriate protection of customer PII
- Identifying and aggregating external sources of information which are relevant to our operational reporting needs
- Establishing and managing analytics methods, techniques and capabilities to enable the organisation to analyse data, to generate insights, create value and drive decision-making
- Maintaining and troubleshooting BI tools, systems, and software
- Working across multiple data warehouses to identify, analyse, and interpret trends
Within 3 months you'll have:
- Developed an understanding of how we use our sources of data across the business
- Identified ways our data infrastructure can be improved
Within 6 months you'll have:
- Delivered multiple significant improvements to our data infrastructure, improving the productivity and quality of life of our data analysts and scientists
- Made Data Engineering the most loved team in the business as measured by NPS from key collaborators
- You are fast and customer-focused
- You have a track record as an Engineer in the Data/BI space, building & maintaining complex Data-related infrastructure and processes
- Expert knowledge of Python & SQL - in particular extensive experience with PostgreSQL is required, and you should be fluent with most of the following concepts: Core SQL concepts (joins, unions, grouping and sorting, indexes); Views, CTEs, Prepared statements; Window functions
- Experience managing, scaling, and utilising AWS Redshift for OLAP workloads
- Experience with data warehouse design, operation, and maintenance
- Knowledge of AWS, infrastructure and DevOps practices
- We will pay you what you're worth. We are fully committed to closing the gender pay gap, promoting diversity and inclusivity, and paying people what they deserve to be paid.
- We're a Remote First business - work from home or our London office - you choose! We have team members everywhere, from Cornwall to Glasgow - we place an emphasis on finding the right people in any location, not any people in the right location.
- We will help you manage your busy lifestyle with flexible working opportunities, most of the team work "core hours" to allow touchpoints with your team, but we also make sure you have the time to pick the kids up at 3pm, or go for that mid-morning run to boost your productivity. We want you to have the best of both worlds.
- We offer 25 days annual leave in addition to public holidays (up to 5 day rollover), as well as flexible time off allowances for any ad-hoc childcare/family/caring needs.
- We offer 12 weeks paid maternity leave and up to 4 weeks paid paternity leave for employees with over 12 months service
- We will support you with your career endeavours. We are committed to internal progression, and offering our team members the best opportunities for growth. We want to invest in you the same way you're going to invest in us!
- If you love cycling as much as we do, keep yourself physically fit with our Evans Cycles Ride to Work scheme
- And after a long weeks work, join us in undoing it all - with membership to The Wine Society. (They also do gin and beer!)
- We want everyone to achieve "zen mastery" with a free subscription to Calm - work can be stressful (we know!) and we want to help you switch off
- And the best benefit of all... Free access to Wagestream service - naturally!
- 30 min introductory call with Sophie
- 50 min Zoom with Nick - technical screening and short pair programming exercise
- 2 x 50 min Technical Paired Sessions with Senior Engineers (Onsite or Zoom)
- 30 min Onsite with Portman
Python, SQLPython, SQL, PostgreSQL