Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital in North Carolina and in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet ® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolinaâ€™s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
General Description of the Job Class
Plan and provide professional nursing care for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures.
Required Qualifications at this Level Education
- Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN program.
- Exception: Registered nurses hired between July 1, 2014 and March 31, 2021 without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (or higher) are expected to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date but must complete the program within five years of their start date. Registered nurses hired before July 1, 2014 are not required to enroll in a BSN program to remain in this job classification.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
- Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. BLS required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and provide professional nursing care for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures to include collecting and analyzing patient data, developing and implementing nursing care plans, establishing interpersonal relationships with patients, evaluating nursing care given and communicating to proper personnel relevant facts about patients, action taken and patient responses.
- Provide direction and guidance in the proper use, care and control of material resources; appraise quality and effectiveness of material and equipment and report results to head nurse; maintain standards of cleanliness in assigned areas.
- Assist in the development and implementation of general policies and procedures designed to effect efficiency of operations.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of scope of the registered nurse, licensed practical nurse and NCA
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing process
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice and procedure
- Ability to assess nursing needs of acute and chronically ill patients and their families
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and others
- Ability to teach patients and families in accordance with the nursing plan of care
- Ability to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Ability to use fine motor skills
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support requirements designated by work area or organization
- Ability to record activities, document assessments, plan of care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status
- Ability to use computer and learn new software programs
- Ability to document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Ability to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for patients
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking
- Ability to remain focused and organized
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions
- Working knowledge and completion of appropriate JCAHO and other regulatory requirements
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.