Atom Learning is an online learning platform that is making education fairer. We want to provide all children whatever their background and wherever they are in the world with an affordable, high-quality education. To achieve our goal, we are combining exceptional teacher-made content with machine learning to keep students on their optimal learning paths. Atom Learning is growing rapidly with hundreds of schools in the UK and abroad using the platform and thousands of independent subscribers.
We are ranked one of the UK's top 100 startups by Startups100, are a finalist for the AI Award in the Lloyds Bank Business Awards, won the Best AI-based Solution for Education in the AI Breakthrough Awards, were a finalist in the Education Investor awards 2018 and Amazon Growing Business Awards 2018 as Young Company of the Year. We are a growing team of 75; we have big ambitions and anticipate doubling in size over the next 18 months.
About the role:
Atom Learning is looking for a mid-level front-end developer, with experience in React, to join our growing engineering team. You will be responsible for creating new features, refactoring and improving the codebase, and working on tooling and services to support the growth of our product. This role enables you to directly contribute towards user-facing aspects of the product alongside internal services for the Atom team.
Our engineers re-invent education by working in cross-functional, autonomous pods. Each pod is self organising and adopts Scrum or Kanban depending on their unique challenges at the time. Our back-end microservices are built using Node & Typescript with a strong focus on testing and good engineering practices. Our front-end is built using React & ESNext, with CSS/HTML and testing in Jest using the React Testing Library and Cypress.
Need to have:
- You will develop features using React, ESNext, HTML and CSS;
- You will test the codebase using Jest, React Testing Library and Cypress;
- You will participate in code reviews to maintain our coding standards;
- You will analyse and organise technical work to deliver measurable improvements for our products and development experience; and
- You will document your work and share this across the engineering team.
Nice to have:
- 3+ years React experience, OR 2+ years React experience with 1+ years experience in another front-end framework (VueJS, Angular);
- Ability to write semantic and contextually relevant markup, with an interest in applying best practices for the purpose of accessibility;
- Experience scaffolding and working with a modern web application;
- Experience writing CSS;
- Ability to think critically and evaluate the relevance of certain tools;
- Understanding of the value of testing, with experience writing test suites for React;
- A focus on technical solutions and optimisation; and
- A desire to systemise and codify conventions when implementing features.
- Experience in optimising the critical path, and measuring and firing performance issues;
- Understanding of common design patterns in React, such as component composition, localised state and memorisation;
- Experience with Typescript on React projects;
- Experience with React powered tools (Next.js);
- Experience in building and/or integrating a design system into a website;
- Interest in the user experience; and
- An inquisitive and pragmatic working style; feels empowered to communicate issues in the pursuit of excellent work.
- Competitive compensation with 6 month pay reviews
- Flexible / fully-remote working
- Work abroad up to 3 months at a time
- Full auto-enrolment workplace pension
- High degree of autonomy and opportunity to become an integral member of a fast growing start up
- Huge learning opportunities from experienced developers as well as exposure to all business areas of a start up
- Opportunity to learn new technologies, including machine learning
- Frequent team dinners and drinks
- Office in Old Street
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays
- Enhanced parental leave
- 20 minute interview with co-founder
- Technical test
- 1 hour interview with tech lead and CTO