At Duco, we give our Developers the freedom they need to do their best work. We put people first. Always. We genuinely care about transparency and giving everyone a voice and what we do and how we do it. Regardless of roles or seniority levels, we value all opinions and input. We communicate honestly, whether the news is good or bad, and share knowledge and successes openly. Our philosophy is always to support, not micromanage.
Don't take our word for it though, this is reflected in our Glassdoor reviews!
A role with great scope and potential:
A Developer at Duco works in one of our cross functional, empowered engineering teams focused on ensuring that the platform we provide continues to both meet, and ultimately exceeds, the needs of our customers.
Each team owns the destiny of their part of the product and makes decisions jointly, alongside representatives from Product, Sales and other customer advocates. You don't just "code up" stuff someone else specifies. You'll be responsible for creating new solutions to difficult problems, ensuring Duco continues to innovate and taking the service to the next level.
Day-to-day that means you'll be:
We're looking for someone who has:
- Collaborating to deliver features which enhance our product across all areas of the technology stack
- Working to ensure that the code your team delivers is performant, supportable and of high quality
- Performing code reviews for others, and having your code reviewed by your peers
- Learning new technologies and growing as an engineer
- Teaching and mentoring less experienced colleagues
And any of the following would be useful, but aren't required:
- A keen interest in writing resilient software that scales
- Solid experience with Java or other statically typed language
- Familiarity with at least one web framework (Spring Boot or Ruby on Rails)
- Working knowledge of SQL and/or relational database concepts
- Experience with AWS
- Solid experience with one dynamically typed language (e.g. Ruby)
- Aptitude with CI and CD pipelines (GitLab preferred)
- Experience with Kubernetes deployments (Helm)
- Exposure to Ubuntu Linux
If you're not confident you have all of the above, please don't let it put you off applying. We're not looking for 'the perfect candidate' with gold medals and superpowers. We review all applications with interest, and we're happy to support and develop people to reach their full potential.
- Success-sharing bonus scheme, based on Duco achieving key milestones (these are shared each financial year and openly tracked so everyone can see progress)
- Pension scheme with 5% employer contributions
- Healthcare and eyecare schemes
- Cycle to work and tech purchase schemes
- Unlimited holiday policy, because we trust people to manage their own time off
- Flexible working options, including home working and flexible start/finish times
- Enhanced family leave provisions e.g. maternity and paternity leave and pay
- Personal learning and development opportunities, including executive coaching
- Employee Assistance Programme for support outside of work
- Home Working Allowance to help make your space comfortable, currently £200 p/a
- Phone screen
- Technical test
- Final interviews
We're helping to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by continuing to work remotely. Interviews will therefore be carried out by video conference, and new joiners will be on-boarded remotely.
Java, SQL, Ruby on RailsJava, Spring Boot, AWS, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL, Ubuntu, Linux