Business and Technology Solutions department (BTS) provides IT and Change services for the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). As the technology arm of the FCA. We are passionate about delivering value in a fun collaborative manner and being an influencer at the heart of the global RegTech and FinTech revolutions driving the digital economy. We are in the initial stages of our Agile journey and are adapting our ways of working to ensure we can maximise efficiency and serve our customers.The Role
Are you someone who wants to gain a unique overview and insight into the strategic direction of the FCA? With the opportunity to understand and challenge business processes and influence change across the FCA. We are looking for a Data Architecture Manager with extensive knowledge of driving strategic change in a complex data environment. You will be looking for an opportunity to shape how we leverage data, technology, and analytics to transform the organisation in line with our data strategy, and to make a substantial and valued contribution in a role that offers great challenges in the immediate future and as the FCA develops.
You will need to be comfortable taking a lead role with senior stakeholders as the data architecture leader, advising and guiding the FCA on the execution of the data strategy, services, and toolsets to meet our goals.
Key roles & responsibilities:
Skills and Experience required Minimum
- Define the data architecture vision, set the strategic agenda to align with business values and review the delivery of strategic value with the executive committee
- Facilitate the development and application of data architecture for business value and IT value
- Engage senior stakeholders to secure strong engagement for the enterprise data architecture and ensure ongoing alignment of business needs to the data architecture
- Capture the tactical and strategic enterprise goals that provide traceability through the organisation and are mapped to metrics that provide ongoing governance
- Develop an integrated view of the enterprise using a repeatable approach, cohesive framework, and available industry standard techniques
- Apply a structured business/data/information architecture approach and methodology for capturing the key views of the enterprise
- Ownership and operation of the data governance and control framework, ensuring that it is operational and adhered to as well as being integrated and aligned to wider processes
- Capture the relationships among roles, capabilities and business units, the decomposition of those business units into subunits, and the internal or external management of those units
- Define the set of strategic, core and support processes that transcend functional and organisational boundaries; identify and describe external entities such as firm, individuals, customers and external systems that interact with the business; and describe which people, resources and controls are involved in the processes
- Define the key data shared across the enterprise and the relationships between those data
- Lead the team of seven data and information architects who control the enterprise-wide data models and product data models.
- Contribute to and lead the relevant communities of practice to build business, technical and data architecture capability.
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidates CV.
- Experience in supporting non-technical stakeholders to engage with and understand models of how data is structured to support their businesses.
- Substantial experience in data architecture and supporting the delivery of large-scale projects through the project lifecycle.
- Extensive experience of designing, building, and using enterprise data models as the foundation for a data architecture as well as knowledge of data architecture concepts and data modelling techniques.
- Experience of playing a leading role in the definition and implementation data and information governance strategies to include the principles of data ownership and custodianship within financial services, government, or regulatory bodies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including influencing, collaboration, facilitation, negotiation, commercially and politically astute.
- Experience working in DataOps/DevOps/Agile teams, including providing the processes, tools and leadership to deliver Big Data solutions with modern best practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present and communicate complex architectures clearly and concisely with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Extensive knowledge of designing, building, and using enterprise data models as the foundation for a data architecture.
- Extensive experience of traditional data modelling techniques such as IDEF1x, IE and class modelling using UML using a range of modelling and architecture tools, for example: Erwin, Solidatus, ABACUS.
- Experience of creating Business Glossaries and taxonomies and developing best practices and governance for glossary maintenance.
- Knowledge of how enterprise models are used as the roadmap for creating and understanding the as-is view of the systems landscape and developing the to-be view of the systems landscape and a strategy for migration from as-is to the desired to-be state.
- Experience of working with Salesforce systems
- Industry standard architecture TOGAF or Zachman certification.
- Knowledge of cloud technologies and data architecture practices in big data technologies.
- Extensive, broad IT experience, with considerable experience in an architectural role.
- Ability to provide a data authority and governance role through lifetime of project.
- A clear understanding of how non-functional requirements such as security, performance, scalability, and availability are designed, implemented, verified, and maintained.
At the FCA, we're creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We're setting up more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers.
Financial services regulation is constantly changing, affecting the way in which we regulate. Business and Technology Solutions (BTS) supports the FCA in managing the impact of such changes on the organisation, its processes and people. BTS continually scrutinises the way we work, and drives change to ensure we continue to deliver our goals in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible.The FCA's Values & Diversity
Our ambition is to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the society we serve, helping us to be a better regulator.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.Useful Information:
If you are interested learning more about the role, please contact Daniel Dowling on
- This role is graded Manager (TS E)
- Salary - £70,000 - £100,000 + Competitive Benefits package
This role will be based in The International Quarter, Stratford .